It has been a great week, and I have a ton to be thankful for on the first Me Likey Monday of December! I’ve spent the week in SoCal visiting Big Sis and fam, remembering that there are, in fact, people that wear sunglasses indoors like, for real. Seriously, get over yourself. I also spent time with great friends I haven’t seen since I left LA three years ago. Time flies when you’re stuck in the middle of the country!
1. Waste No Time: I was in California for less than 90 minutes when my toes hit the sand. And it was amazing to be there with Booka and Lil Lil. It sounds super lame, but my heart has been aching for the ocean. When I lived here, I spent nearly every Saturday on the beach playing volleyball, swimming with my triathlon team, running or just sitting in the sand and watching the tide. The ocean and I have been through a lot together, and I miss her. And yes, the ocean is female, because she’s beautiful, strong, fierce and slightly crazy. But the sexy, mysterious kind of crazy. Not show up next to your car outside work after 17 unanswered texts crazy. Obviously.
2. With a Cherry on Top: So there I was at a party when my friend Zach says, “Hey, let’s go get a snack from the table.” Innocently enough, I see a bowl of what appears to be all red M&M’s. I pop them in my mouth to discover they taste exactly like a fresh, chocolate covered cherry. And that’s when things went horribly wrong. I abandoned all self respect and face planted into the dish. Needless to say I will never be asked back, but it dusenevunmader. Apparently they are Cherry Cordial Limited Edition, and I will be buying all of the bags from all of the stores.
3. Throw Back Thanksgiving: Speaking of Zach, this is him. It’s been over 3 years, but it felt like no time had passed. Zach is great – he’s thoughtful, smart, well read, loves the Big JC and has the same sick, twisted sense of humor that I do. He’s a better dresser than most men (and women) I know, and looks good in a skirt. And bonus, laaaadies: He’s single and he reads to African kids. Okay, I’m guessing at the reading part, but he did go to Africa, there were kids there and I’m pretty sure they read words there. He does, however, get negative points for his unhealthy affection for cats. Zach and I had a great conversation over dinner about the stigma associated with doing things”alone”. I have a feeling I will be posting about this soon, so I’ll leave it at that.
4. Mystic Pizza: This is Birdy. She only started composing her own songs at the age of seven and landed a recording contract by 12. No big deal. Her cover of Bon Iver’s Skinny Love is amazing. Oh. And she’s 16 in this video. When I was 16, I was a hostess at Italian Dreams so we’re basically twins.
5. Put Your Face On: Target carries the makeup line e.l.f. (eyes. lips. face.), and it’s awesome. Most of their products are under $3 (yes, I said $3), and are made of quality ingredients. Their philosophy is sweet: “Every woman should have the opportunity to participate in innovation, without sacrificing her budget.” Through the end of today, everything on their website is 50% off and you bet your bottom dollar I got some. My favorite product? Studio cream eyeshadow.
6. This is Why I Love Big Sis: You could slave over the perfectly basted turkey, hand smash melt-in-your-mouth potatoes or make fresh from the garden pumpkin pie and her favorite dish has, is and always will be the ever classy CANberry. Every. Single. Time.
7. Know When to Hold Em: I love this article by Coach Jenny at Runner’s World about the benefits of running less. I am a FIRM believer in listening to your body, cross training and finding a plan that works for you. And that might mean cutting down on miles, even when those you are training with are ramping up. Take a read.
8. Girls. All I Really Want is Girls: I got to see my dear friend Monica twice! We had a fun day with her kids, then a much needed girls only dinner on the waters of Newport Beach. I heart her so much, and wish we lived closer. I just love how our friendship has grown over the years – when we met, we were young(er) single ladies, and it has been a blessing to watch her become an incredibly beautiful wife and mother. I’m a lucky gal.
And this girl, of course. A day at the beach with Big Sis and Co was the highlight of my trip. It was a beautiful day and I’m so glad we could spend it together. Isn’t she pretty?!
What are you thankful for today?
What is your favorite Thanksgiving dinner dish?8 Comments