What I’m eating, listening to, laughing at, sweating through and loving on this week’s Me Likey Monday.
You guys. I burned my tongue twice this weekend. Once on pot pie. Once on oatmeal. The struggle is real.
1. Goin old school: Saturday after a hill workout, I decided to get in some lower body strength and went with an exercise I haven’t done since high school volleyball days. Remember wall sits? 3×60 sec wall sits with 12 lb dumbbells on each leg. Everything hurts. Stairs? Forget it. I’m this dude. Except on my stomach, head first. And not saluting. But definitely peace-signing. (Check out this How to Do a Wall Sit video to make sure you have good form.)
2. Rollin’ bites: In case you missed it, my Salted Caramel Protein Balls recipe from last week is easy to make and a quick source of protein, fiber and fats. Plus, they make your taste buds as happy as when you find a tater tot in your fries.
3. Vegan friendly: Bestie Ryan came for a visit this weekend!!! We visited the beautiful Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and checked a few more Kansas City vegan restaurants off our list! I love this city and it’s amazing food for us animal lovers! It was a great weekend of friendship, laughter and art. And asking total strangers if we can eat our brunch at their table. Not a joke. Made a friend.
4. Smooth move: Flipping through a copy of Eating Well magazine this week, I came across a bit of info you guys might be interested in. Which is Healthier: Juicing or making smoothies? In short, smoothies! According to nutritionist Brierly Wright, juicing eliminates fiber- and nutrient-packed pulp—”and thus you lose most of the benefits of whole fruits and vegetables. Blending produce into a smoothie, however, preserves fiber—and a smoothie can deliver an extra boost of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals because it often includes fruit skins and pith.” Sip on THAT knowledge.
5. Perfect love: A couple of my girls and I have been participating in She Reads Truth‘s 40 day Lenten bible study, and it is rocking my world. This week we studied perfect (and imperfect) love, and how it’s easy to love Jesus because he is PERFECT. He was ridiculed, betrayed, beaten, mocked and KILLED, yet he only answered in love. I am imperfect – I hurt people, make bad decisions and choose myself over others every day, yet Jesus loves me perfectly anyway. That is hard to wrap my head and my heart around, and has been my focus this week. And it can be yours, too, Christian or not. How do I love? How do I want to be loved?
6. The braidy bunch: This will be happening this summer, just so you know.
7. Maybe I oughtta take a trip to somewhere that has no script: Have you heard of Hembree? WHAT?! This Kansas City band is buzzing in my ears all day, son! All day! They’ll be at the Middle of the Map Fest in a few weeks so duh, buy tickets. In the meantime, dance to this dope beat.
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url
How are you loving the imperfect this week?
What is the last meatless meal you ate?