Have you ever been ashamed of yourself? I have, and it was last week during meal prep.
Upon standing in my kitchen, I had before me something I had created, something incredible, something so heroic and life-altering that I found myself sobbing as I clutched my sternum.
What had I done, you ask.
Vegan chicken parmesan. No, I’m sorry. Vegan chicken and eggplant parmesan.
Yea. I know.
And what made it the most beautiful was that it was so easy. I’m talking less than 20 minutes, easy.
Yea. I know.
In case you didn’t know, eggplants have excellent amounts of fiber, folate, potassium and manganese, as well as vitamins C, K, and B6, phosphorus, copper, thiamin, niacin and magnesium.
The chicken patties are high in protein, vegan mozzarella is low in sodium and fat and tomato sauce has loads of lycopene.
Put all of this together, and you have a healthy meal!
So let’s get to it!
6 frozen Vegan soy “chicken” patties, breaded (I like Gardein)
6 frozen eggplant patties, breaded (Dominex eggplant is vegan, Trader Joe’s eggplant is not)
1/4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded (Daiya mozzarella is bomb)
1 T. nutritional yeast (I use Bragg)
1 jar marinara sauce
1/8 t. red pepper flakes
1/8 t. oregano
1/8 t. basil
Spaghetti squash or noodles
1. In a medium bowl, mix marinara sauce, red pepper flakes, oregano and basil.
2. In a small bowl, mix vegan mozzarella and nutritional yeast.
3. On a greased baking sheet, stack frozen soy chicken patties on top of eggplant patties.
4. Spoon marinara sauce over each stack until tops are covered.
5. Sprinkle cheese mixture on top and place in a preheated oven at 425°. Remove from oven once the cheese is melted and slightly browned (approximately 15 minutes).
6. Serve over spaghetti squash or noodles.
What is your favorite vegan / vegetarian dish?
How do you prepare for the coming week’s meals?